Position Purpose: The Railcar Mechanic 1 assists Railcar Mechanics in all aspects of inspection and repair of GATX owned and non-owned railcars, while helping to maintain and foster customer relationships.
- Provides assistance to Railcar Mechanics in performing all aspects of Railcar Inspection and Repair as required to meet Regulatory, Quality and Customer production needs.
- Ensures that all necessary GATX and customer forms, systems and work order information is completed in order to facilitate correct and timely reporting and billing. Monitors and audits completed repair work orders, systems and forms.
- Works toward NDT Certifications as required prior to and after repair and as needed to assist with inspection and repair activities. Works toward obtaining Air Brake and Welding Certifications.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience (including certifications):
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Valid driver’s license required; commercial driver’s license preferred.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), or the ability to obtain, preferred.
- Minimum of one year SMAW welding experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, in English required.
- Broad Mechanical aptitude, ability to problem-solve and use sound judgment required.
- Ability and willingness to meet all customer suitability requirements required.
Other (i.e., physical requirements, travel, etc. that is not covered above):
- Must be available to travel as needed
- Must be able to stoop for extended periods and routinely move from kneeling to standing positions
- Must be able to perform overhead work for extended periods
- Must be able to lift (vertically) up to 50 pounds from the ground surface
- Must be able to push / pull (horizontally) up to 100 pounds
- Must be able to climb ladders and perform work at elevated heights
- Must be able to work in extreme temperature environments
- Must be able to physically enter confined space (rail car manways as small as 18” in diameter) and work in enclosed environments
- Must be able to use a variety of medium-sized hand tools
- Must be able to routinely work near moving mechanical parts and
GATX Offers Excellent Benefits:
- Competitive salaries and growth opportunities
- Good working environment, stability and a good work/life balance
- Fringe Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance) at zero cost to the employee
- Retirement Saving (RRSP)
- Paid Sick leave and paid vacation
- Continuous training and development
- $55,000 + annual bonus and up, depending on qualifications
Consistent with GATX policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to accommodation.
GATX embraces diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Follow us on LinkedIn!