Equal Opportunity Employer Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Starting Wage: $26.54/hour
Shift: Monday to Friday
Commercial Drivers operate heavy-duty trucks with front, side or rear end load lift attachment. Drivers are responsible for providing the pick-up service of containers filled with waste or recyclable material. Containers may weigh in excess of 1000 pounds and at times require drivers to maneuver wheeled containers to a pick-up stage area. Driver will transport the material to a disposal, transfer or recycle facility when trucks reach legal load capacity. Driver navigates high traffic and congested roadways, driveways, alleyways, and lots. Highly skilled backing maneuvers are essential too successfully perform this job.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following tasks:
• Operates vehicle in accordance with Waste Management Safety and Life Critical Rules, Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) and Ministry of Transportation requirements as well as all municipal, provincial and federal laws.
• Performs pre- and post-trip inspections of assigned vehicle and documents checks utilizing the standard DVIR (Driver Vehicle Inspection Report). .
• Immediately reports all unsafe situations or service related issues to Route Manager or Dispatch.
• Attends and participates in all scheduled training programs, briefings, and meetings as required by Waste Management or directed by the Route Manager.
• Works closely with Route Manager to improve route efficiencies and identify best practices.
• Notifies Route Manager of any incidents, accidents, injures, or property damage.
• Notifies Route Manager or Dispatch of service interruptions, including blocked containers, closed lots, streets, alleyways or potential safety hazards.
• Communicates customer requests to Dispatch or Route Manager.
• Identifies and reports all containers in need of repair or replacement.
• Ensures the number of containers on the route reconciles to the service level listed on service list.
• Completely dumps all containers and leaves the customer’s location clean and free of debris.
• Completes and submits customer tickets as required when excessive yardage must be removed.
• Positions and returns containers on the customer’s property in a manner that ensures lids are properly replaced. enclosure doors are closed and secured, and containers do not block driveway entrances or traffic.
• Follows route assignments as directed and completes end of day documentation and check out process.
• Performs all duties as scheduled by Route Manager or Dispatch and assisting other drivers as directed to meet customer needs.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
• Hold a current DZ or higher Commercial Driver's License with an air-brake endorsement; AZ license is preferred
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must be legally eligible to work in Canada with a valid SIN.
• Successfully complete and pass pre-employment drug/medical screen and background check, which will include previous employment check, criminal history and motor vehicle record review.
• Manual transmission experience is an asset.
Listed below are key points regarding the physical requirements, and work environment of the job. A reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Required to use motor coordination with arm, hand, finger, and leg dexterity.
• Required to exert physical effort in handling objects more than _ pounds frequently.
• Requires pushing, pulling, bending, twisting and lifting up to _ lbs.
• Normal setting for this job is outdoors and/or driving a video/GPS monitored vehicle.
• Will be exposed to a physical environment, which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the workday.
Note: The level of physical effort may vary from site to site and in some cases be greater or lesser than documented here.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Pension, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Please apply now on the site below, or call 877.220.5627, to speak with a Waste Management recruiter today!