As the Injury Benefit Actuary Lead, you will be a key member of the valuation department, and will be responsible for monitoring reserve adequacy, evaluation of statutory changes, maintaining and updating the reserving calculators, performing experience studies and assisting with the valuation. The Injury Benefit Actuary will also ensure all activities are following actuarial standards of practice, governing regulations and internal policies.
The Actuary will apply actuarial expertise, strategic insight and maintains a high level of technical competence in overseeing and supporting pricing or valuation initiatives while ensuring guidelines, processes and decisions meets high standards and aligns with the objectives for the Corporation.
- Frequent monitoring and reporting of Injury Benefit reserves.
- Assist with quarterly reviews of the actuarial liabilities pertaining to injury benefits ensuring actuarial liabilities are fairly presented in the financial statements.
- Develop, modify, and monitor reserving calculators including impact analysis.
- Implement best practice methodology in determination of actuarial liabilities for injury benefits. This includes assessing existing methodologies, assumptions and streamlining processes.
- Research emerging actuarial issues, methods, and solutions to ensure department practices and processes continue to be effective and efficient.
- Support actuarial team with implementation of IFRS 17.
- Work with the Injury Claims Management team and Business Insights & Analytics team to improve data quality and support future initiatives.
- Collaborating with and supporting other departments such as Pricing, Finance, Claims, Business Insights & Analytics, ERM and Product to meet strategic initiatives.
- Responsible for active risk management by identifying operational risks.
- Provides mentorship, regular feedback and uses coaching techniques as a means for development of junior team members.
- Post-Secondary degree with an Actuarial Science, Mathematics, or Statistics Major.
- Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries.
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries.
- Ten years of progressive experience in the life insurance industry, including 5 years of strategic involvement in rate setting, valuation, forecasting or risk management.
- Exceptional understanding of injury benefits insurance products and pricing.
- Advanced knowledge of actuarial skills in analysis, statistical and financial modelling. Working knowledge of stochastic reserving and IFRS 17.
- Experience with reserving software is considered an asset (e.g., ARIUS, ResQ, AXIS, etc.).
- Experience working with data analytic tools (Power BI, Tableau, VBA, R, Python, etc.) is considered an asset.
- Strategic thinker who is intellectually curious and can think “outside the box”.
We offer a comprehensive health benefits program that includes:
- flexible health, dental and vision plans
- health spending account
- travel health coverage
- other extended health benefits such as ambulance, massage and physiotherapy
In an effort to support financial security, we offer:
- registered pension plan
- group, dependent, and optional life insurance coverage
- critical illness insurance
- sick leave to cover short-term disability
- long-term disability
We offer programs that focus on how to better achieve a balance between work and personal commitments, as well as maintain a healthy workplace culture. This includes:
- vacation entitlement
- flexible work program
- maternity, parental and adoptive leaves
- bereavement and family responsibility leaves
- employee and family assistance program
- mental-health programming
- lunch-and-learn offerings
- discounted gym memberships and wellness account
Diversity and inclusion
Manitoba Public Insurance believes that diversity and inclusion strengthens us. We consider ourselves to be a barrier-free organization where individual values, beliefs and practices are respected and appreciated for the diversity they bring to our work life.
It’s important to recognize our employees for their contributions. Not only do we recognize employees as they achieve milestone years in their careers, we also have several outlets for leaders and peers to reward each other for work well done.
We want our employees to grow, which is why we offer support in keeping their skills up-to-date. We offer in-house training, professional development and an educational assistance program.
Safety and health
In an effort to encourage a safe and healthy work environment, we offer various safety, health and workplace policies and programs along with technical expertise and assistance to support employee activities in safety and health.