Our client is a well established, profitable and disruptive consumer tech company located in the tri-city area of Kitchener-Waterloo- Cambridge with operations in the US. With a global client base in the millions, an innovative product offering and impressive YoY annual revenue growth, our client now seeks to bring on General Counsel to oversee all legal matters facing the company.
With an opportunity to be impactful, the successful candidate will bring a resourceful ‘own it, solve it’ mindset in helping the company continue its impressive growth trajectory.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the COO, the General Counsel will provide a clear and collaborative voice on all legal matters facing the company including responsibility for all corporate/commercial agreements, employment, regulatory and IP matters relating to business activities and any litigation facing the company.
- Negotiate and draft a diverse range of commercial agreements including external agreements, contractor agreements, services agreements, software license agreements and supplier agreements
- Provide comprehensive, accurate and practical advice regarding various legal issues including corporate/commercial, employment, regulatory, privacy, and IP matters
- Monitor and keep abreast of legal developments and legislative changes that may impact business and company goals
- Coordinate and assist with the development and revision of company policies to ensure corporate compliance with internal and external regulations, policies and legislation
- Engage with board of directors, executive management team and other key stakeholder groups on complex legal matters
- Develop and implement company-wide contract review and management process to ensure consistency and efficiency across the organization, including formalizing
company standard agreements, internal policies on approvals and contract management system
- Manage and provide legal advice on responses to court-ordered warrants and subpoenas received by the company requesting user-information
- Build and advise on the company’s IP strategy and work to build a robust patent portfolio
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Law degree with 5+ years of experience with a law firm or as in-house counsel.
- License to practice law in Ontario.
- Demonstrative experience managing an IP portfolio and patents from idea through to patent.
- Strong understanding of corporate/commercial law.
- Overall broad legal knowledge on corporate governance, technology, compliance, data privacy and employment.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and ethical decision-making with a minimal amount of supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure with strong attention to detail, effectively multi-task and adhere to many concurrent deadlines.
- A bias for action, burning desire to succeed with an ability to reduce complex legal issues into basic business language.
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player experienced working in fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Highly competitive compensation package to the successful candidate