Coding Specialist – Clinical Utilization Services
Permanent Part Time (3) / Casual (1)
The Coding Specialist, reporting to the Manager of Utilization and Analytics, and under leadership of coding lead/trainer will support the organization’s new and growing clinical coding team through accurate and timely abstraction and coding of inpatient (DAD) and ED/Outpatient (NACRS) health information. Key components of the job include accurate and timely coding and abstraction of health information and assign ICD-10 diagnosis and intervention/procedure code as per CIHI coding standards and hospital guidelines to ensure timely CIHI submission, stay current in coding best practices as per changes in CIHI coding guidelines, perform tasks as assigned through coding improvement initiatives and projects, monitor CIHI monthly and quarterly submission error reports to ensure abstracts are corrected and resubmitted, active involvement in coding improvement initiatives and changes as directed by Mackenzie Health and ministry (CIHI), answer to coding-related inquiries as needed. Superb attention to detail is imperative to this role.
What must you have?
- Graduate diploma of accredited Health Information Management Program.
- Currently active and certified member in good standing with the Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA).
What else do you bring?
- A minimum of one year experience with Discharge Abstract Database (DAD) and/or National Ambulatory Care Reporting System (NACRS) coding and abstraction.
- Ability to follow CIHI coding standards and hospital guidelines, abstract inpatient and/or outpatient charts in a timely manner to meet weekly/monthly submission goals.
- Experience in reviewing patient charts within an electronic medical record system.
- Basic knowledge of CIHI’s acute inpatient and ambulatory case mix systems and weights (e.g. CMG/HIG/RIW, CACS/ACW).
- Demonstrated independent ability to prioritize, multi-task and work to tight timelines.
- Self-starter and ability to work independently to provide leadership and support to peer staff.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education.
- Proven attendance record.
- Demonstrates understanding and complies with patient and staff safety policies and procedures that foster a safe and inclusive environment for all.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
- Effectively uses empathy in interactions with others and demonstrates behaviours consistent with Mackenzie Health’s Commitment to Caring.
- Models behaviour that is aligned with the values of Mackenzie Health – Excellence, Leadership and Empathy.
- Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
Preferably, your profile also includes:
- Experience working with Med2020 Winrecs abstracting software.
- Experience with funding models (HSFR, HBAM, MOH QBPs, CCO QBPs).
- Knowledge in EPIC EMR chart review preferred and/or certification in Epic EMR systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of key health care performance measures (clinical, financial, utilization, efficiency) and balanced scorecards.
*You may be required to work at any site of Mackenzie Health
Mackenzie Health is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code.