Since 1953, ALMAG has built a reputation as an industry leader in extruding high-visual, tight tolerance, complex, thin-walled, lightweight and precision aluminum extrusions. Pushing the limits of industry standards, ALMAG is capable of providing solutions to some of the most complex designs by combining its skills, knowledge and experience with engineering to deliver best in class, quality solutions with the industry’s shortest lead times.
Recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, ALMAG understands that true customer satisfaction comes from delivering an exceptional service and a superior product. Our goal is to provide customers with peace of mind knowing that quality products, short lead times and customer satisfaction is our top priority through all four pillars of service — Design, Extrude, Fabricate and Finish. We believe in building strong relationships around reliability and ownership which go hand-in-hand with our core values; respect and fairness, humility, passion for progress and ownership. Recognizing that people create culture, our core values are fundamental drivers of our workplace environment.
As part of the ALMAG Health and Safety Team the Health and Safety Specialist is responsible for assisting in the development, implementation, evaluation, and continuous improvement of a comprehensive range of employee health and safety programs and services to meet the goals and legal obligations of the ALMAG Group. With a “Boots on The Ground” involvement with plant operations the Specialist will be able to ensure the safety and development of necessary programs and actions. These functions include, but not limited to, the assessment, facilitation and evaluation of injury prevention, environmental safety, occupational health, and safety. The Occupational Health and Safety Specialist delivers specific licensed training (Forklift, Overhead Crane etc.) to ensure support of operations. The incumbent will also be able to modify and develop related programs to the training requirements to ensure consistency of each. The incumbent will support the ALMAG Group full-time as well as Dependable Anodizing on an as needed basis.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities of the Health & Safety Specialist are detailed below, but not limited to the following:
- Plan, develop, implement, coordinate, evaluate, and update ALMAG Aluminum's occupational health and safety policies, procedures, and programs.
- Train in-house staff on licensed courses such as Forklift, Overhead Crane, Scissor lift and other required topics.
- Update and Develop H&S programs as they relate to the training needs requirements to ensure the training and the programs match.
- Review occupational health and safety legislation, amendments, and best practices to optimize occupational health and safety programs.
- Provide Team Leaders, Supervisors and Managers with advice and insights related to health and safety matters, legislative requirements, and best practices in the field.
- Coordinate and/or provide guidance and direction to plant staff on health and safety matters.
- Assist with the development of hazardous isolation and control programs as it relates to industrial environments.
- Assist Supervisors/Managers in investigation of accidents thoroughly and effectively including proper root cause analysis, and then respond appropriately as required, including communicating to, training, and following up with employees.
- Ensure that work refusals are properly investigated and that any necessary corrections to the work processes are implemented and documented.
- Liaise with the Ministry of Labor when required for any onsite visits or investigations.
- Develop, arrange, and present safety orientation and training for all new employees, existing employees, contractors, and visitors to ensure complete and effective understanding of potential risks and expected behaviours within the company.
- Maintain records of all health and safety-related training and assist in the development of rollout programs.
- Participate in an annual health and safety program audit to ensure the effectiveness of occupational health and safety programs.
- Coordinate inspections, and occupational health and safety activities within various departments.
- Coordinate health and safety supplies by ensuring appropriate supplies are identified and purchased in a timely and cost-effective manner and used appropriately.
- Support and promote occupational health, wellness, and safety department initiatives.
- Act as a resource to the Joint Health and Safety Committee, assisting with function of and any concerns that arise within the committee itself.
- Ensure expenditures are tracked monthly and align with the existing H&S budget.
- Ensure the documentation and retention of all health and safety-related records for the prescribed time limits.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Post-secondary school diploma or degree in Occupational Health and Safety or related field of study.
- Occupational Health and Safety Certificate, as per the Occupational Health & Safety Act/Regulations.
- Certificate in Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) or working towards obtaining the certificate is desirable.
- Current Train-the-Trainer licensing from a reputable training provider in the areas of Lift Truck and Overhead Crane is required. Other training topics such as Scissor Lift, Working at Heights would be a definite asset.
- Minimum 5 years' experience with occupational health and safety management.
- Comprehensive knowledge of occupational health and safety management, applicable federal, provincial, and municipal regulations/legislation, Workplace Safety & Insurance Act, the Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations and applicable Human Rights,
- Knowledge of WSIB/ LTD processes and procedures, including WSIB claims management and related legislation is advantageous.
- Experience with disability management, accident investigation, Root Cause methodologies, workplace inspection and job hazard analysis are a core skill set.
- Willing to actively participate in continuous professional development throughout the course of employment.
- Proven ability to maintain the confidentiality of information and records.
- Service and team-oriented leader who pays specific attention to detail.
- Proven ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Tact, diplomacy, flexibility, listening and persuasion skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates a desire to lead by example.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
We offer a full and competitive benefits package including:
- Profit sharing
- Health care spending account
- Education assistance program
- Health and dental
- Life AD&D
- Long-term disability
- Critical illness insurance
- Gym memberships
- Wellness programs
- Monthly social committee activities