Estimator - Civil Projects
For underground utilities or earthworks projects
IDL Projects Inc. (IDL) is a dynamic, rapidly expanding company focused on providing a broad array of construction services in Canada and internationally. We have established ourselves as a go-to solutions provider in the construction areas of civil and infrastructure, commercial, residential, public and institutional, industrial, energy, mining and safety services.
The Estimator is responsible for: completing quantity takeoffs; sub trade solicitation; and preparing budgets, cost studies, and competitive bid comparisons in order to complete estimate package and ensure all information has been gathered in order to successfully bid and win the project.
IDL Project’s head office is located in Prince George, British Columbia and has multiple satellite offices across western Canada including Terrace, Kelowna, Vancouver and Vancouver Island. This position is based out of Kelowna.
- Develops complete estimates on selected projects consisting of project site visit, quantity take-off, pricing, and presentation of the estimate for management review
- Analyzes and identifies risks and opportunities presented by tenders
- Solicits and maintains contact with trades and vendors regarding invitations, pricing, addenda and tender/bid closings, showing creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from subcontractors
- Reviews bid/tender documents and assesses potential risk
- Prepares quantity take-offs for the estimate
- Works with the Project Manager in the development of the schedule on which the estimate is built requests input from the project team and the various trades as required
- Guides non-estimating personnel on their related estimating requirements
- Provides support in the preparation and modification of details and drawings; prepares drawings and sketches to support work as needed
- Tracks actual costs against the estimate, identifying possible improvements, and providing input to the estimating team on all financial cost matters
- Prepares estimates to support the change order process (CCN, CO) and/or claims
- Communicates effectively (written and oral) with the estimating team, all levels of management, clients and industry contacts; develop effective business relationships with subcontractors and suppliers for pricing within estimates
- May perform other related duties as assigned
- 4+ years of estimating experience within the construction field
- Diploma or degree in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying, Estimating, Engineering or related discipline
- Technical knowledge of modern construction practices, concepts, procedures and equipment
- Understanding of construction costs and budgets, ability to develop a project schedule
- Strong computer expertise including experience with MS Office and related estimating software
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work under pressure
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to interface and communicate effectively with others; effective oral and written communication skills
At IDL we strive to ensure a positive and safe work environment. Our employees are part of a work family built on respect, friendship and latitude for personal time. We live our core purpose of “Think Different, Build Better” and our core values of “Take Care of Each Other”, “Be Innovative”, “Build Great Things” and “Have Fun”.
- Competitive wages commensurate with experience
- Health and dental benefits
- Training opportunities
- Advancement opportunities
- Excellent work/life balance
Powered by JazzHR